Google’s thirst to take on popular apps and services out there in market is ever lasting. The latest being a Flipboard rival news reader app called Google Currents. Though not the same considering the social aspect of Flipboard, Google Currents mimics the formers clean UI and in app animations to a certain extend. But Currents app serves publishers and content creators very well. With Google Currents ‘producer’ account anyone can create a magazine edition with already existing or a fresh content. Currents available for Android phones, tablets and iOS devices including iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad lets you curate the best content from topics you’re interested in. And the best part of Google Currents is that it lets you read articles even without an active internet connection by downloading blogs and news content on to your mobile device for offline reading.
- Compixels.com is now available on Google Currents too. Subscribe now!!
Like many other Google services Currents too is officially available only in the US. That means all other users living outside the US will have to wait till Google make it available worldwide. If you can’t wait till then the most simple way out to override this restriction is to opt for alternative methods available for app installation.
How to install Google Currents on iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad):
To install Google Currents on iOS outside US you will have to own a jailbroken iDevice or hold a US app store account. While the former voids warranty and not worth just for installing Currents, creating a US Apple ID is the way to go. Follow this post on Digital Inspiration to create a US app store account even without a valid US credit card. Once after you create a US account, login and download Google Currents. Done.
How to install Google Currents on Android phones/ tablets:
1. Head over to Android settings by hitting Menu button on your phone.
2. Under Settings select ‘Applications’ settings.
3. If unchecked, click “Unknown Sources”. If “Unknown sources” is already checked, skip to step 4.
4. Now download Google Currents .APK file.
5. Open your notifications or the location where the downloaded .APK file is stored and click to install.
6. Click “Install” and then click “Open”.